Monday, October 3, 2016

Falling

The main enemy has been identified as Falling, and we're doing everything we can to avoid unnecessary falls, especially in bathrooms and other hard surface locations. The first round of falls, all surprises, were about 2 years ago or more, and happened outside of the house. Then, having gotten hip to that attack, I started falling inside, in what had been familiar home territory. No longer safe. The 911 call which sent me to the hospital was viewed as a possible stroke until more recently, when we understand it as a low blood pressure moment so typical of MSA until diagnosed.
   My GP had prescribed midodrine for low blood pressure, but it is more of an automatic drug, raising the BP even when unnecessary, causing BP spikes, while true MSA medicine like Northera has built-in pressure regulation in it, although Northera comes with hypertension warnings.
   We were having water heater problems earlier this year, and I thought I'd go downstairs  to either light the pilot or else the water heater had been already replaced and I wanted to see some of the excellent wood-replacent repair that Gary Smith had done. He replaced the heater after re-glazing the tub and installing grab bars in the bathroom. I thought I'd descend the small staircase outside our house on foot, leaving the walker at the top of the stairs and holding the wall and a railing, overgrown with jade plant, for support. The problem was that, as my balance shifted and I reached out for firmly-planted rail, all I found was jade to grab, which tore away and sent me flying heels over head, down to the bottom, where I fortunately did not stove my head in on a step. There was enough dead plant material and combined with my spin and velocity, I landed crumpled on my shoulder. Try as I might, I couldn't get myself up and had to yell upstairs for help when Pamela returned from walking 20 minutes later.
    Falls have been sporadic, maybe monthly, and of softer landing than before, often controlled when I already realize I'm going down. The new wheelchair has required some getting used to, with a much easier tipping point for falling out of the chair. My balance is crocked and my back feels broken after a year in the hospital-issue Drive chair. I have slid out of the chair while reaching for something and landed with a smack to my head as I keel over forward, but then I also fall into the bedside bookshelf from bed, my lower back is that weak. I should be proud that I haven't had any major falls or broken bones especially now as I enter a phase of the illness where it appears to have taken much of my ability to walk. I must really be careful with transfers and other trial behavior, like reaching. I am better off asking for help, putting on pants say, than tipping to ground while doing it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment